Navigating Motor Trade Insurance for New Start-Up Businesses in the UK

So, you’re starting a new motor trade business? Congratulations! We know the process is exciting, but can also be daunting and potentially risky, which is why many start-ups choose to protect their fledgling operations with specific insurance for new start-up motor traders.
To help you learn more about this particular branch of motor trade insurance, we’re going to take a look at some key start-up insurance tips and considerations.

two professionals are discussing something on the notepad

Looking to Start a New Motor Trade Business?

If you’re taking the plunge and establishing a new motor trade business, you’ll be well aware of the costs and potential risks involved. Motor trade insurance for new businesses can help you mitigate some of these risks and provide you with reassurance should the worst happen at this crucial time when your business is at its most vulnerable.  

In this insurance selection guide, we’re going to help you better understand motor trade insurance, why you need it, and how to choose the right policy for your business.  

Do Start-Up Traders Need Specific Insurance?

No, start-up traders don’t need a specific kind of insurance, but rather the right level of cover that balances protection for their new business and associated investments with keeping initial overheads to a minimum.  

It’s important to take stock of the assets your business has and your potential risk areas and opt for an insurance policy that suits your needs.  


Understanding Motor Trade Insurance for New Businesses

Motor trade insurance is a necessity for all businesses that revolve around the sale, maintenance, repair or restoration of vehicles, regardless of size. The key difference when it comes to motor trade insurance for new businesses is simply the scale of the policy in terms of what it does and doesn’t cover.  

It’s crucial, as a start-up, to work with an insurance provider that understands the motor trade sector and can apply its knowledge to crafting a policy that accurately covers all your relevant risk areas, without either leaving you exposed to risk or causing you to overpay for features you don’t need.

Introduction to Motor Trade Insurance

At this early stage in your business’s lifespan, it’s arguably at its most vulnerable to external threats. For example, a smaller stock level means that the theft, vandalism or crashing of just one or two vehicles could be hugely detrimental, and liability claims from the public could end up sinking your new businesses.  

It’s absolutely crucial to have motor trade insurance from the very start of your business, not just for legal reasons which we’ll touch on shortly, but also to protect you from possibly damaging everyday occurrences.  

Types of Coverage for New Motor Trade Businesses

In the UK, motor trade coverage for new businesses comes in two main forms. The most basic is road risk only insurance, which provides the minimum level of legally mandated cover and allows you to drive your vehicles on the road. In turn, road risk policies are broken down into third-party, third-party fire and theft and comprehensive cover.  

For more thorough cover, you can also opt for combined motor trade insurance. Combined policies blend multiple forms of insurance into one comprehensive policy designed to protect multiple facets of your business.  

Tips for Choosing the Right Insurance

Each business is different, and choosing insurance for new start-up motor traders can seem like a minefield. However, there are a few key considerations you can make to narrow down your choices and your insurance provider should be more than able to help with the rest.

Key Considerations for New Motor Traders 

When your business is new, it’s important to balance the right level of protection with the need to keep overheads to a minimum. There are a few things to weigh up when choosing your policy –  

  • Level of cover – You can vary the cost of your motor trade policy by adjusting how much of your business you choose to insure.  
  • Type of cover – You can opt for different kinds of cover, such as road risk only or combined policies, which will also vary the level of cover you have as well as the price of the policy.  
  • Your risk factors – Consider the potential threats to your business, including whether you operate in a high crime area, on a flood plain, or in an area of the UK prone to extreme weather, for example.  

Legal Requirements in the UK

There is a roster of legal requirements governing motor trade insurance in the UK, and ensuring that your business remains compliant with all of them is crucial to your future success.

Understanding the Legal Landscape

In the UK, legal requirements for motor traders when it comes to insurance can seem overwhelming. On the contrary, they’re quite simple.  

In order to drive your vehicles on the road as part of your business, you’ll need motor trade insurance. The level of coverage you opt for is up to you, but you need a third-party road-only policy as a bare minimum.  

Other than that, you’re free to insure, or not insure, whichever aspects of your business you see fit, but obviously the lower the level of cover, the greater the risk.  

The only exception is if you employ anyone who isn’t a family member, in which case you’ll need employer’s liability insurance.  

Getting Motor Trade Insurance for Your New Business

Insurance for new start-up motor traders is key to nurturing your business as it grows, helping to shelter it from potential threats. It’s important to consider the level of risk you’re comfortable with, and the likely consequences for your new business should anything go wrong.  

The biggest tip we can give you is to work with an insurance provider who understands the motor trade and can work with you to develop a bespoke policy tailored to the needs of your individual business.  

At Prime Cover, we work almost exclusively in the motor trade, and can provide you with an expertly crafted insurance policy suited to your business, designed to protect it from threats often faced by new start-ups. Get in touch today for a free quote.